With the holidays in full swing, here are some useful tips to bear in mind so as to avoid holiday over-indulgence.
- Don’t arrive on an empty stomach. Have a bowl of cereal, fresh fruit or a handful of nuts before you arrive. Skipping breakfast or lunch may cause you to overeat and consume more calories than you would if you had eaten something beforehand.
- Offer to bring a healthy dish.
- Avoid excess alcohol and snacks. Save your calories for the main meal. Alcohol provides many calories and virtually no nutrients.
- Select small portions. Moderation is the key. Selecting small portions allows you to control your calorie intake yet enjoy all the different items offered.
- Eat slowly. Take small bites, and chew slowly. It usually takes about 20 minutes for your brain to get the message from your stomach that you are full.
- Leave the table when you are done! If you linger at the table, you may be tempted to continue eating even if you are not hungry.
Wishing all a wonderful and healthy season!